31 October 2015

Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle



This month the Reading to Know bookclub’s choice was The Hound of the Baskervilles. It was picked by Sky. I was glad to read along because I remember really disliking Sherlock Holmes when I was younger and I haven’t picked up a book about him in years. I was interested to find out what adult me thought about teenaged me’s opinions.

Reading to Know - Book Club

     As it turns out teenaged me was 100% correct. Sherlock Holmes is terrible. His poor friend Watson seems to exist merely for Holmes to project how incredibly smart he is compared to Watson. He just seemed annoyingly impressed with himself, and even though he is supposed to be very observant and intelligent I didn’t feel like it was an excuse to act like that. I was wrong however, in the story itself. I was actually pulled in right from the start and despite my aversion to the main character I found the plot interesting and even though I had a general idea (thanks Wishbone!) of how it ended, I was very engaged the entire way through.
     After the mysterious and possibly supernatural death of Sir Charles Baskerville, Sherlock Holmes is asked to look into the matter before the arrival of Sir Charles’s nephew. There is an old family legend that a supernatural Hound of Hell haunts the family because of a wicked ancestor and it is believed that the hound was the reason Sir Charles died. Holmes sends the ever ready Watson with Sir Charles’s nephew and asks him to report everything that happens. There are mysterious love interests, a bog that swallows unwitting travelers and an escaped convict. It’s all very thrilling and a quick and entertaining read.
     I am very glad I returned to it, but I don’t think Holmes will ever go down as my favorite literary character or anything. I will however, read more of the Holmes stories. As an interesting aside, I have found a series of books featuring Sherlock Holmes. The first book is set in WWI and Holmes has partnered with a fifteen year old girl to help solve crimes. I just started it so I’m not sure if it’s a terrible idea or a great one. 

(Update) After reading the other posts on this book I realize that everyone has already discovered the later Holmes stories beginning with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. And apparently they are really good. So, I'm glad I was able to start the first one.

No comments: