09 December 2014

Until the Very End



     The year is almost over and I have to read eighteen books to reach my goal of one hundred fifty books. Up until the dead end of November my goal for 2014 had been two hundred books. (It takes me a very long time to give up, but eventually reality kicked in) I think that shouldn’t be a problem, but just for kicks I’m going to list the eighteen, plus one (for my online book club) that I’m going to attempt to finish before the end of the year.
     Also, my sister challenged me to a reading contest for the month of December so this post is also partially for them to size up the competition.


  • Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver – I’ve historically really appreciated everything I’ve read by Kingsolver despite some issues I have with her works. So, I’m looking forward to this one.
  • The Most Famous Man in America by Debby Applegate – It’s the biography of Henry Ward Beecher that I’ve been working on for what seems like YEARS
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley – Book four in a series about a precocious little girl who is a brilliant chemist AND a crime solver. So great. So. Great.
  • Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith – Book two in a series about a woman detective in Botswana. The stories are much more about the personality of the detective and her neighbors than the mysteries themselves. I really enjoy them
  • A Godward Life by John Piper – A collection of little talks from John Piper is the best way I can describe this. I haven’t gotten very far in it yet.
  • Tuck by Stephen Lawhead – Book number three in a series about Robin Hood. Recommended by my friend, Libby.
  • Rule Britannia by Daphne DuMaurier – I haven’t started it, but it’s DuMaurier so…yay!
  • Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott – Raise your hand if you are a reader who hasn’t always secretly wanted to be a writer…thought so!
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace – Love it or hate it many people have a very strong opinion on this book. I’m excited to read it.
  • Desire Under the Elms by Eugene O’Neill – A play I haven’t read. I’m trying to read more plays
  • On Reading the Grapes of Wrath by Susan Shillinglaw – I got this book for free at a history conference. I loved Grapes of Wrath so I’m excited to be told about how important historically the book is.
  • The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien – I actually saw a talk by this guy. Sadly at the time I didn’t have the book so I couldn’t ask him to sign it, but I’m excited to read it now because it’s one of those books you always hear about.
  • The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky – Does this NEED any explanation?
  • The New American Poetry edited by Donald Allen – I haven’t been reading enough poetry. It’s pretty sad.
  • The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan – I like the cover of this book. That’s the only reason I got it from the library
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry – After reading Number theStars I wanted to read more of this author.

Well, that’s it. December. I hope I meet my goals.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm STILL trying to move beyond Harry Potter. :)

I, too, want to read The Giver.

I, too, am trying to reach end of the year goals. But for me that means just finishing up Atlas Shrugged. I really am enjoying it -- it just takes SO. LONG. to read.

BerlinerinPoet said...

I have been meaning to read Atlas Shrugged. No room for it before the end of the year of course, but maybe a January book.
John and I are going to read The Giver together and maybe the rest of the series while we're at it.

Sarah Carrillo said...

Yeah, compared to your list, I literally failed all reading always. Haha. But hey...I gave it a noble shot. ;) We should all compare soon to see who won and do it again for more than one month. :)

BerlinerinPoet said...

Noble is good! And we should tally up at some point. I'm glad you are getting more active on Goodreads! I like following your books on there.