29 September 2014

The Princess and The Goblin by George MacDonald



     I have to admit, when I read The Princess and the Goblin I read it way too fast. My usual M.O. is getting the book at the end of the month and at the very last minute I manage to write up something, so I thought I would get a head start. So, unfortunately I read it too fast. It didn’t help that the reading was much easier since it was a children’s book.  And for whatever reason I have a really hard time writing reviews of children’s books. This is bad news because November is a children’s book, and I’m leading it. Anyway, this review was hard to write! And it's like...three paragraphs, and only one has anything worthwhile that I added to the conversation. So, if you'd like, you could just go straight to the penultimate paragraph and read that.

Reading to Know - Book Club

     The Princess and the Goblin is the story of Princess Irene who lives with her nursemaid apart from her father, the King because he has to travel a lot. Underneath their city in caves live hordes of evil goblins plotting something against the kingdom. One day, Irene is unable to go outside because of rain and she discovers a mysterious staircase and eventually her mysterious grandmother, also named Irene. Eventually the grandmother gives Princess Irene a thread that will always bring Irene back to her grandmother no matter where she is. Princess Irene later meets with the son of a miner, Curdie Peterson who knows how to keep the goblins at bay and eventually learns the secret of how to defeat them.  Irene and Curdie eventually must use their skills to keep each other and the kingdom safe.

     One of the particular themes I picked up on which I felt was important was a theme of trust. In order to escape the goblins, Irene has to follow the thread her grandmother gave her even when it seems to take her in a direction that she doesn’t understand. This is basically what we have to do with how the Lord leads us. Sometimes we think God is directing our lives in a way that seems confusing and often terrifying. But we still have to follow him in trust.

     Also, I kind of like that Princess Irene saved Curdie, but not in an in-your-face feminist sort of way. It was just normal. She just saved him. That’s all. Just kind of thought it was cool.

No comments: