26 March 2013

What's on Your Nightstand: For the Month of April

     I feel like I haven't done one of these in a long time and I saw everyone else doing and thought...why not! At least I'll be able to set reading (and hopefully reviewing) goals for myself and everyone loves a good goal. So...



What's On Your Nightstand


  • Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horowitz: I read this a while ago. It was part of an introductory history class in college, and way back when Boyfriend was doing his prelims this was one of his books. I'm still reading through his prelims books, and it will be interesting to re-read this one.
  • Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl: I'm about 150 pages in. It's...weird. I don't have a handle one what I think yet. I'll let you know.
  • Beach Glass and Other Poems edited by Paul Molloy: This is a compilation of old and new poetry including one of my favorites from Mark Strand called Eating Poetry. The first line is "Ink Runs From the Corners of my Mouth." If you think that sounds familiar it's because it's the name of my poetry blog.
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky: I've read a lot by Dostoevsky, and he's someone I'd consider the greatest writer of all time. However, I've never read this one. You know, the one that everyone reads in school. We were apparently hipster homeschoolers.
  • The Meaning of the Millenium: Four Views edited by Robert G. Clouse: This book was lent to me by a man in my church a month and a half ago, so I really need to finish it and give it back. It's set up like a debate between a Dispensational Premillenialist, an Historic Premillenialist, A Postmillenialist, and an Amillenialist. If you think I plan on defining those, I'll have you know it was a workout just to type the names, so I don't plan on doing that. Wikipedia exists for a reason. Anyway, the interchange has so far been interesting. 
     So, that's all I'm going to put down though I'll probably read more than that. I'm trying to follow Carrie's realistic goal setting here. Plus, I think Crime and Punishment is enough of a handful (brainful?) that I will be quite taken care of for this month.
     What's on your Nightstand is hosted by Five Minutes for Books. 

6 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I think just within the last year or so I heard that Dostoevsky works weren't as daunting as most of us think (except for their length) and I've been wanting to try something of his. I'm having trouble committing to one big book when I have so many others stacked up, though. Maybe someday...

I don't think I'd like The Meaning of the Millenium. :-) Though it might be interesting to see a thoughtful interchange about it.

BerlinerinPoet said...

Barbara H.: They aren't! You should give him a shot. One thing to keep in mind is that he's a philosopher and his ideas take center stage. The characters mainly exist for his ideas to play out. Some people really don't like that, but I love it.
Heh, well, to be honest, the whole pre/post/amillienial deal is a little of a turn off to me too. It's interesting as a theory, but I see people get in fights about it, and I mean, it's the future, how can anyone get all hard and fast on something that will happen in the future. There is one position that makes much more sense to me, but I can see good arguments for all of them.

Diary of an Autodidact said...

Crime and Punishment is a good read, despite its "college literature" association. I think it is one of the easier Russian novels. For me, the hard part was keeping track of the many names for each character. I eventually just kept a notepad with the book, and wrote down who had which names as I found them. I love the philosophy and psychology discussions in Dostoyevsky. The Grand Inquisitor chapter in Karamazov was one of the most influential things I read in high school.

I am eager to hear what you think of the poetry collection. If you like it, I might add it to my queue.

The thing about the eschatology discussion, is that it can have a huge impact on how we view politics. Those who combine a hard-core theonomy (we must re-create ancient Israel) with a post-millenial view seek to establish a present day theocracy. Ideas have consequences. But for this fact, I would completely agree with you. It is the future, which was seen darkly through a glass, as it were.

Carrie said...

Yeah, except if I know you, you'll just fly through Crime & Punishment which is a terrifically exciting read. :D

I'm grinning over The Meaning of the Millenium. :D And your Wikipedia remarks.

BerlinerinPoet said...

@Diary: I was actually JUST voicing my frustration with the Russian names to my brother. It is definitely the hardest part. Also, the poetry collection is so diverse it's hard to say what I think. It has poems from Henry Longfellow to poems from Mark Strand. So, I think it has something for everyone.

@Carrie: You liked C&P? I am really enjoying it.

Kara said...

I agree! Crime and Punishment is definitely a handful all on it's own!! I have the Millennium book on my Kindle but haven't read it yet. I've been going through books from each perspective. It's been very interesting!