29 November 2012

Getting to Know You

I caught on to the fact that this was happening, the day after we were supposed to post our answers to Carrie's fun questions. So, here they are. I ended up using her questions because I ran out of time to get really very clever with them.



Non Random Totally Normal Questions:

1. Do you attend church and, if so, what denomination are you a part of? I do attend a church. I currently attend a wonderful non denominational church though I would consider myself Reformed Presbyterian.

2. What social issue are you the most passionate about? I probably get the most bent out of shape about anything that has to do with women and children, things like domestic abuse, abortion, homeless children, and sex trafficking. My hatred of bullies is inherited from my mother, so I tend to worry about those weaker or more vulnerable.

3. Do you home school/use the public system or enroll your kids in private school? Any particular reason why? I don’t have kids, but if I did I would homeschool, because homeschooling makes your kids more holy and smarter and better and faster and taller and more republican than all the other kids. I’m kidding, but I actually do want to homeschool because I’d like to be able to spend more time with my children and give them more individual attention.

4. How long have you been married? How many kids do you have, or want to have? Have you ever thought of adopting, or have you? I am unmarried (for now….). I want to have seven children because this is the number of completion. I’m kidding, again. (I promise I can be serious) I want to have as many children, or as few children as the Lord gives me. I have often thought of adopting, and I might.

5. What is your greatest personality strength? Weakness? My greatest personality strength is my fabulous sense of humor. I’m kidding. I mean, I’m not going to deny that I have one, but really my love of people is a lot better. My personality weakness is that I take things too personally and I overthink everything. Just ask Boyfriend, poor man.

6. What is your favorite Bible verse or passage? Why? Hebrews. Particularly chapters 1 through 4. The not so holy reason is that I think it’s written so beautifully. I love the way the words sound. Another not so holy reason is that I am intrigued because Hebrews was almost not adopted into the cannon. It was only until most scholars were convinced that it was Paul’s work that it was added. Now scholars are pretty much convinced Paul didn’t write it. It’s a mystery, and I love mysteries. A better reason is that I think the whole book takes what some people see as a paradox between Paul’s “faith alone” arguments and James’s “faith without works is dead” arguments and brings them together in a beautiful way. Also, Hebrews has my favorite passage (Heb. 4:16): “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” So wonderful!

7. What is your real name? What does it mean? My real name is Heather. It means low lying shrub. Yep. It’s funnier if you know I’m 5’2”

Fun Random Question Time:

1. What do you like best about your family? My family is very open about everything. I always feel like I can ask my parents about anything. Teenage rebellion never was a thing for me because I really never felt hedged in or repressed in any way.

2. What's your favorite color? Why? My favorite color is orange. I enjoy bright and flashy colors that remind me of the summer

3. Are you a bold and trendy dresser, or are clothes "not your thing?" I guess my style is a little bohemian and/or sporty, but not a whole lot of thought goes into how I dress…to my sister’s shame.

4. Are you a foodie? What makes you love food so? I’m kind of a foodie. It’s more that I go through strange eating phases. I’m very into healthy foods. So, I’ll do things like, eat a different salad for lunch every day, or maybe live on sweet potatoes for an entire week.

5. If you were to write a book, what genre would it be? Poetry or fiction.

6. What is your favorite thing about where you live (country, neighborhood, etc.)? Least? My favorite thing about where I live is that my family lives here, and I grudgingly admit that Oregon can be pretty in the summer. My least favorite thing is what is outside my window right now: Misty, rainy, grey, cold, rainy, lousy, grey, gross, rainy weather.

7.  What is your idea of the perfect day? Reading, spending time with my mom, working out, spending time with Boyfriend, and making something delicious involving avocados.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

". . . because homeschooling makes your kids more holy and smarter and better and faster and taller and more republican than all the other kids."

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I might start to call you the low lying shrub.

BerlinerinPoet said...

I thought you might like that, Carrie. hahaha!
And you may call me that! I will laugh anyway.

bekahcubed said...

I'm just now getting back into reading blogs after the whirlwind that has been the last couple of months- and I have to say that this post had me very much laughing out loud. I can identify with so many of your sentiments and LOVE your semi-snarky comments poking fun at conservative evangelicalism ( to which we both belong).

BerlinerinPoet said...

I would only stand for a fellow conservative evangelical poking fun at conservative evangelicalism. Beneath the snark is a whole lot of love. hahaha! Glad you are back to reading blogs, although I'm sure that you didn't regret one bit of your whirlwind.