26 June 2012

What's on Your Nightstand: July


What's On Your
Nightstand   I am pleased to report that most of the titles I posted in my very first "What's on Your Nightstand" post have been completed. The two non completed ones are C.S. Lewis's A Problem of Pain and Albert Camus's The Stranger. But I have stupendously good excuses for both. I'm reading The Stranger along with the folks at The Gospel Coalition and they aren't done. I'm reading the Lewis book with my friend Libby to discuss on our new blog. These things take time, and I probably shouldn't have put them on my "Nightstand" list. So, keep in mind that I'm still reading both of those titles even though they won't be added to this list.

Without any more explanation here are my next adventures into the literary realm:


  • Room by Emma Donahue: I know nothing about this title. It’s a book I’m reading for the Silver Falls Book Club, and that’s all I know. If it helps explain the book at all, I secretly call the lady who picked it “Our Sincere Liberal.” I mean that in a kind way. I like her a lot.
  • Juliet in August by Dianne Warren: I won this book from Goodreads, and I hope to finish it soon and get a review out. In the cover letter from the publishers there was a blurb by Ivan Doig praising Ms. Warren’s book. So, that seemed positive. The book has been released before under the name Cool Water. I’m a lot more drawn to Juliet in August aren’t you? It’s set in the small desert town of Juliet, Saskatchewan. Yes, in Canada. Did you know there were deserts in Canada? I did not. This was entirely new to me. Anyway, the story sort of revolves around this town and the people in it. It’s one of those “everyone has a story” books, which I find really interesting.
  • The Dragon Reborn (#3 Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan: Pretty self explanatory. The third book in that fantasy series I talked about last time. At this rate, by the end of the year I’ll be finished with them. Did you know they might be making a movie out of this series? It’s a good thing I’m finishing them now before the rush to put them on hold at the library happens.
  • Home by Marilynne Robinson: What can I say about Ms. Robinson. She has restored my faith in Christian fiction. She weaves a beautiful story and revels in the loveliness of our language. Yet at the same time she holds firmly to truth and right and even mixes doctrine in. She’s living proof that you can write truth and still have it be compelling and beautiful (Yes, William Young, I’m looking at you!)
  • Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon. I don’t know anything about this book, but Carrie reviewed it (I’m not linking because I don’t want to accidentally spoil a plot for myself) and Libby read it. Libby has been needing someone else to read it so she can discuss it with someone. So I’m obliging her.
  • The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Because C.S. Lewis quoted it in The Problem of Pain and because I just felt like it, and because books as good as that ought to be re-read.
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand: I had no intention of reading this book until I read Unbroken by the same author and since it was one of my top ten favorite books of all time, I decided to check into this one too. 
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: Carrie's doing it. I use this excuse an awful lot it seems. hehehe...

And so, there you go! I can't wait to click around online and see what everyone else is reading in the upcoming month.What's on Your Nightstand is hosted monthly at 5 Minutes for Books.

8 comments:

shostagirl said...

It makes me happy that we mentioned each other in these posts. Thanks for reading Godmother... I cannot wait to talk with you about it! Also, I listened to the Wind in the Willows as a kid (my Granny recorded it for us) but have not read it since. Maybe I'll attempt to find my copy and read it too.
Interesting books! Looking forward to discussing them.

CrossEm said...

It's spelled Saskatchewan.
(Forgive me - it's because I was homeschooled.)
Wind in the Willows is one of my favorite books. I need to finish Unbroken. And then I'll learn all about horse racing! My sister-in-law (:D :D :D) just read Seabiscuit and told me a little about it....just wait till you get to the bit about jockey's diets...

Lisa notes... said...

I loved Unbroken also! Wonderful story, wonderfully told. So I'd probably like Seabiscuit too...

I'm curious what you think about The Stranger. I started reading it with TGC too, but finished it up early because I didn't like it at all. ha. I kept thinking to myself that it would get better, so I'd keep reading. But I never did like it. But I hope you're enjoying it more than I did! :)

BerlinerinPoet said...

@Shostagirl: Yes! I'm really looking forward to next month/the end of this month. Heh...And you should definitely read Wind in the Willows with me. Very nearly wrote Wine in the Willows. Which would make it a very different story entirely. hahaha! Also, for the record. I'm reading The Narnia Series because Carrie is reading it. I should just edit the post and say that, but I'm too lazy.

@CrossEm: Oh drat! Google steered me wrong again. I must have been looking at the wrong site. I guess this means I WILL have to edit the post. Oh I'm very excited about the diets....as long as I don't get too excited and decide to follow suit. I get a little enthusiastic you know. And yes, finish Unbroken!

@Lisa notes: Well, I do have trouble saying, "Actually I rather enjoy this absurd existentialist novel with a horrible lead character who seems reprehensible and kills someone for no reason." But I AM enjoying the posts from Mr. Ryken. I think I would have finished it and thought good riddance if I had read it on my own. So, I do sympathize.

Carrie said...

I HAVE SEABISCUIT ON MY SHELF! We should read it together. I'll call you MY excuse. How's that? More fair?

I LOVED Godmother. I hope you do too.

And I've heard good things about Room (from a variety of sources, including one of whom I have great faith in). I'll wait to read it until after I see what you think though. :)

bekahcubed said...

What a grand list for your next ups. I've only read the first and the last, but they all look very interesting (and most are ones I've drooled over before.)

I've always thought I wasn't a sci-fi/fantasy person (Narnia and LOTR excepting), but my little sister just forced me into Harry Potter and I just know that it's only a matter of time before my mother and brother convince me to read the Wheel of Time series.

You're awful obliging to read certain books so that someone else doesn't have to read alone. I tend to have difficulties trying to read in coordination with someone else (except during bloggie reading challenges that force me to do so--and largely let me do it on my own terms.)

Beth said...

I am reading Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson and really having a hard time with it and about to set it aside. Maybe I should persevere a little more.

I will be interested in your thoughts on Wind in the Willows. I have read this twice and still can't rave about it. It is well written, but....

One day I'm going to get around to Godmother and Unbroken.

BerlinerinPoet said...

@Carrie: Deal! You are on! I'm starting it today actually. Next dinner out we'll discuss it. :-D
SO glad to hear you have some hope for Room. Maybe I will like it after all.

@bekahcubed: Yes, I'm wondering how long I can actually pretend that I'm NOT a sci-fi/fantasy person...and I'd love to take credit for being obliging, but it's actually usually the books I want to get around to and keep putting off. So, reading them with someone else keeps me from being lazy. hehehe!

@Beth: I don't know if this will make a difference for you, but it was really important for me to have read "Gilead" first. "Gilead" and "Home" are two sides of the same story. And I am close to insisting that "Gilead" ought to come first. They are both VERY slow, but it took me a while to realize it was because I was supposed to slow down while reading it. You may have trouble with her style though, and I would understand that. She has an almost lyrical prose, and if you aren't into that, you might just...not get into her books. I just love that she is a Christian who writes to glorify God and not to preach or be cheesy necessarily.
Yeah, I'll hopefully be posting about Wind in the Willows.
...heh...the History major in me is going "GO for Unbroken first!!"