22 May 2012

What's on Your Nightstand

   Because I like to do everything and because Carrie is my blogging hero. I decided to participate in the What's on Your Nightstand meme hosted at 5minutesforbooks. I'd like to try (note choice of word) to post every 4th Tuesday like the cool people who participate do, but we'll see how this goes. The following list is what I plan on starting/finishing in the month of June.

What's On Your Nightstand


  • A Woman’s Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything by Lydia Brownbeck: Carrie asked me to participate in an online discussion of this book and it gets top priority. Plus, it seems like it’s going to be awesome!
  • The Great Hunt (#2 Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan: I will have already completed the first book in this series The Eye of the World by the time June rolls around. The series was suggested to me by a friend from one of my book clubs. I don’t read a lot of fantasy so this is stretching my comfort zone, but so far I really have enjoyed the series. Am I allowed to say that after only one book?
  • My Invented Country: A Memoir by Isabel Allende: I have to read this one for the Silver Falls Library book club. I have heard a lot about Isabel Allende, negative and positive. So, I’m interested in reading this book. I’ve heard a lot of her fiction tends to get a little raunchy, so I’m glad this one is a non fiction piece.
  • Death at Wentwater Court (#1 Daisy Dalryimple) by Carola Dunn: And this is for my other book club. The discussion will be led by my friend Joy. If you’d like a sample of her writing you can find a review she did for Carrie here.
  • Empire of Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynn: I’ve been at this book for far too long. It’s actually fascinating but library books keep getting in the way of me finishing it. Joy gave me this title for Christmas.
  • The Stranger by Albert Camus: The Gospel Coalition and Leland Ryken are leading a book club of sorts, and this is the first book under discussion. I believe they are already on part four or five, so I need to get going on this one.
  • The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis: Well, I had this grand idea that I would read through everything C.S. Lewis wrote ever. I won’t say I’ve given that up….yet. But if I do this, I need to pick it up. I haven’t read a Lewis title since The Great Divorce.

Well, there you have it. My official reads for June. Knowing the rate I read, I’m sure there are going to be some others, but those are the ones I want/need to finish in that month.



14 comments:

midmofarmfamily said...

Welcome to the club! LOL! Looks like a great list of books! I am hoping to get through my 3! Hope you have a great month!

BerlinerinPoet said...

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to reading what others are reading through this thing....and of course adding to my never ending list of "to-reads."

Carrie said...

HA! I'm honored to be your blogging hero. ;D haha!

(I keep meaning to ask if I can borrow your copy of One Thousand Gifts when next we meet. So I'm going to do that here, in this comment, while I'm thinking about it.)

I like the TITLE "My Invented Country" so I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

See you shortly. :)

BerlinerinPoet said...

@Carrie: :-D

YES! Of course you may! Although, did you read Tim Challies post on it. I "re-tweeted" it, even though I'm not 100%sure I agreed all the way. He certainly gave me something to think about.

I liked the title too. I kind of hope it's good because I liked the title so much.

Jennifer said...

Don't worry, you won't be kicked out of the club if you forget a month. :)
(At least it hasn't happened to me yet.)

I recently read The Plague by Albert Camus which I thought extremely fascinating, so I may have to check out The Stranger. I liked Camus' writing a lot, so I'd probably like another of his books.

I've been trying for forever to read Mere Christianity, but it still hasn't happened. :/

bekahcubed said...

Laughing about Carrie as your blogging hero--she's mine too, except that I don't know her in real life like you do :-)

I've thought that I'd like to read everything Lewis ever wrote too, but then I remember that he was an academic (which means that I'd also have to be willing to read "OHEL"-The Oxford History of the English Language-and the like.)

I really appreciated Grace for the Good Girl. It was pretty well-written and doctrinally sound--and I think the subject matter is really important. It's written as a "devotional" type book, not in the sense of being read as one's daily devotions but in the sense of being meant to be read slowly, thoughtfully, with application to one's own life. That's the one thing I regret about my reading of it. I borrowed it from my library and read it in snatches here and there, without setting apart much time for reflection.

Trish said...

Sounds like a great variety! So glad you joined in - I always find lots of new books to add to my list each month. :)

Happy Reading!

Trish @ 5 Minutes for Books

Beth said...

I enjoyed most of the Daisy Dalrymple series.

This is the second nightstand I've seen A Woman's Wisdom and it looks like a great read.

I just was in Silver Falls last week getting my eyes checked. It is a small world!

BerlinerinPoet said...

@bekahcubed: Oh my word! I didn't think about OHEL. As much as my competitive mind just thought...I could SO do it! I doubt I'll be getting to that one anytime soon. I think maybe I'll just stick with his more approachable titles.

@Beth: I'm really looking forward to "A Woman's Wisdom"! It's a small world indeed. And of course this means I must add you. :-)

shostagirl said...

Looks like a fun list. You are so bad for my to-read list! ;) You keep it entirely unachievable.

BerlinerinPoet said...

@Shostagirl: I do what I can. Hahaha!

planetnomad said...

So glad you decided to participate! I have read one of Allende's books and yeah, it definitely had some scenes that needed to be squinted and skimmed through, if that makes sense (the reading equiv of fast forwarding your DVDs). On the other hand, she's a beautiful writer. My son read The Stranger this year and so I reread it too. Lots of existentialism to brighten your summer! And yes, you can totally say you enjoy a series after one book!

Elizabeth from 5MFB

Jennifer Donovan said...

Welcome!! My Invented Country sounds very interesting.

BerlinerinPoet said...

@planetnomad: "Squinted and skimmed" Great way of putting it! I might actually want to try her first book The House of Spirits, I think it is called. She writes in "My Invented Country" about how that book actually started as a letter. Thought that sounded pretty neat.

@Jennifer Donovan: Thank you! It was interesting...and in some ways a little annoying? Hopefully I can explain if I get a review up.