06 October 2009

A Right Scummer

I just got through (and it was a chore) Dixie Cash's Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes. Please don't judge me. I read it because the ladies in my book club were raving about this woman and told me I had to read something by her! Never one to disrespect my elders, I reluctantly checked out the flashy trashy paperback adorned with red satin sequined cowboy boots and every indication of 'chick lit' smattered across the pages.
For the first week of my posession of this rare jewel, I kept it hidden beneath a Christopher Buckley novel (would you believe). Usually Buckley's works make me feel a little ashamed of myself, but next to this little novel, Supreme Courtship (Political satire on the Supreme Court...not a romance novel) looked positively cerebral.
I did absolutely no background research on this author so I know nothing about this woman other than she is thoroughly Southern and seems pretty proud of it. I did enjoy that aspect of her writing to be fair. She caught the slightly trashy, slightly prissy, slightly Dolly Partonesque attributes of Southern culture. So I have to say I did chuckle a little over some of the mannerisms and idiomatic speech.
Miss Cash (a pseudonym...shocker!) tells her readers the story of two gutsy beauty shop owners who moonlight as detectives. Their partnership has been comically named The Domestic Equalizers, because in down home Salt Lick, Texas the only thing needing investigation is a cheatin' spouse. These ladies are invited up to New York to speak in a conference run by the National Association of Private Investigators. While there they meet up with a fellow Texan and cause all kinds of bootscootin' kneeslappin' pandemonium in the Big Apple. Also they solve a murder case while looking fabulous in an overpriced pair of Jimmy Choos! What a hoot!
That was a painful paragraph to write. Needless to say this sort of literature doesn't exactly float my boat, but some might find it passingly amusing. In my estimation Miss Cash reads entirely too many romance novels and female detective stories and unsucessfully combined the two. While slightly a little more sucessful with the detective part, the "bad guy" was entirely too predictable and there were no scenes of danger. The only time one of the characters even got close to the murderer himself, it was turned into over-the-topic comedic dialogue, and the conversation amazingly got around to shoes yet again.
Verdict: Pass! Two thumbs down!


Scripture of the Day: (Ephesians 5: 15-21)See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Reading Recommendation: I think we could all use something to wash that down with. So, I recommend Michael Jackson's Beer Companion. Not the late King of Pop, I actually was confused myself. This Michael Jackson is my current hero. The man travels all around the world tasting beer. At the risk of sounding sophomoric, that is freaking awesome! Anyway, this book will help people who make bad beer choices (which is like everyone who even considered: Bud Light; Keystone Light; Miller Light; Anything Light; PBR; Anything in a can, excluding Modelo; And that weak wannabe brew you are holding...yes you...put it down). There will be an upcoming blog on beer pretty soon. I think I will add that as a whole new section, but for now we will stick with this super long rabbit trail.

Quote of the Day: "Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches necessary comptencies that daily life requires and provieds; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become." ~C.S. Lewis

No comments: